by Christa King, CEO & Founder, Fitlandia
That Wild Entrepreneurial Hair.
Do you ever get a wild hair and just run with an idea; going so fast and furious that nothing could stop you? Well, that's what happened when a podcasting mentor of mine, Mark Grimes of the Tiny House Podcast told me to "Just go. Don't overthink it. Don't worry about making it perfect. Just go." And off I went.
That conversation with Mark occurred on October 19th, 2016. By the end of the day I had 5 interviews scheduled. By the end of the week, all of my images, equipment, intro/outro, background music, and scheduling processes were laid out.
Within 3 weeks, I launched the Fitlandia Podcast with 8 episodes. To date we have over 2,000 downloads and 19, 5-star reviews; something I'm quite proud of with only 21 episodes published.
But the best part...I LOVE doing them.
Passion Fuels Action.
Seriously, you've probably heard 1,000 times that you have to be passionate about your startup idea if you're going to be in it for the long haul. It's the mission you connect with that will get you through the obstacles and the work you have to do, but don't like to do.
Fortunately, we get to find things on our to-do list that we actually really, truly enjoy. I'm a chatter, love telling stories, and especially enjoy learning from others. But I had no idea how much I would fall in love with podcasting.
Every bit of it - from researching SEO best practices - to learning how to monetize it - to boldly going after big names to interview...I love it all.
And it's that love that fueled my rapid launch.
Podcasting With a Purpose.
I was interviewing for an accelerator here in town and they felt like my efforts in webinars and podcasting were real distractions from my need to focus on conversion. But I wasn't just podcasting to throw something else at the wall I'd hope would stick. This was a very real and necessary part of my brand and marketing strategy.
Here's how I use it to serve my efforts to grow the Fitlandia brand:
- I bring on experts that provide science-based information; thereby debunking the old, outdated "diet" - this supports my company's Core Values.
- Breakthrough the very crowded diet industry by providing an additional way to access information better than my top competitors.
- Provide people with the opportunity to learn more about Mind Zoning® so that it becomes a way to educate.
- Create massive amount of content efficiently. Since I record the video using Skype and Ecamm software, I have content for YouTube, then my audio file for the podcast, which then gets turned into a blog post in the form of "show notes."
- Drive website traffic! the people I interview LOVE to share the episodes so I deliver pre-made links that auto share to Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Google+ so that when they blast it out to their followers - I get new folks coming to Fitlandia!
I've seriously fallen in love with podcasting and I often say, it's one of the very best decisions I made for my business.
If you're thinking of launching a podcast, I'd love to guide you along the way. If you're based in the Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA area, you can join the upcoming workshop, "Launch Your Podcast in 3 Weeks" by signing up here! Not local? No problem. Just shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I can set up a webinar course for you and/or your entrepreneurial group.